Monday, March 10, 2014

Ac Condensation In Crawlspace



Oh, I forgot to mention my water pipes (PVCS) also sweat a good deal in my crawl space. If I was a reptile, I'd want to live there, its cool, damp and quite suited for their habitat.

Is there such a thing as too much condensation from an AC airhandler unit and respective ductwork? Both are in my dirt floor crawl space suspended from the ceiling, apparently installed and insulated correctly. It has one drain pipe vented to the outside and just sweats and drips like a pig, both ductwork and especially the airhandler. I believe the drain is not clogged, the unit is 3 years old and cools fine. The crawl space is cool and floor covered in plastic. It just seems excessive, it pools on the floor everywhere and even occassionally trips the sump pump for a minute.
I'm worried that somethings not kosher and also that I might develop mold. I recently hung a standard box fan from the ceiling to help circulate air and the home has 5 vents in the crawlspace wall.
Please advise, I'd really appreciate feedback on this.

I merged your threads. Please use the reply button at the bottom of your posts to add anything. Thanks.

Are none of the supply ducts insulated? Usually the air handler has an integrated drain line that is plumbed outside and then there is an overflow pan that is piped outside as well. Is yours set up like that? Are both drain lines clear and do they have enough slope for the water to run out?

I have the exact same problem of exessive condensation in my crawl space.
My situartion is identical to yours in every way including the black plastic on the ground.
I'm wondering if that is causing the problem by trapping the poisture from getting back into the ground.
My pipes are not clogged. I had a professional shoot compressed air into the line to ensure there was no clogging. My ducts are insulated and the air conditioner seems to be cooling and operating normally.
I placed a fan in the crawl space and cut small holes in the black plastic where puddling occurs from the condensation drops, hoping to end the cycle of moisture.
Any other suggestions???

I have the same problem in my crawl space. Condensation everywhere when I run my central A/C. Humidity in the 90's. I have had HVAC professionals out to investigate. None can tell me what the problem is. (I have a gas pack). A/C condensation drains out of drain pipe ok. Drain is sloped ok and not stopped up. Cleaned coils. Completely replaced ductwork(flexducts with metal distribution boxes) because old ductwork was ruined due to moisture running down from boots into insulation. New flex duct is R6, old was R4. Put in expensive gutters, landscaped to divert rainwater away from house. Had to replace hardwood floor in one bedroom. Other hardwood floors have some cupping. Some subflooring plywood has delaminated. Lots of mold and mildew on joists and subflooring.
I sealed off vents and humidity went down to 82% but still got lots of condensation when running central A/C. I bought dehumidifier (Whirlpool 70 pints - $238 at Lowe's) and put in crawl space. Put black plastic on foundation walls. Finished that this morning. Have been running dehumidifier for 7 days. Humidity is now about 50%. Haven't cranked up central A/C yet (I have been running window units all summer). I read where one guy had crawl space humidity around 100%, and put black plastic all over, put in dehumidifier and now his humidity is 35%.
Bottom line is that you might want to put a dehumidifier in your crawl space, run it for several days and see if you still have condensation problems.






Tags: condensation, crawlspace, crawl space, black plastic, been running, drain pipe, ducts insulated, from ceiling, line that, same problem, that might